Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Spoon River



What isn't to love about Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters? When I found out this book existed, I couldn't put it down. I had always thought about the stories the dead could tell, if only they could speak. As a little girl, I would go to graveyards with my family and wonder what these people were like, who had lived so long before me. The cemetery was never a scary place to me for this reason; there was so much  to think about and learn. I just wanted to learn all about the history of things, and ghosties were secondary.

This particular poem is one of my favorites out of all of the great ones in the book. I love thinking about what Mrs. Sibley was alluding to. Did she commit murder? Bury an unwanted child? Have some sort of secret treasure? The importance isn't in knowing what she did, but in finding personal meaning in her words (that can be said of most of the poems in the book).

No comments:

Post a Comment